WebCore Port

From: Stefan Kleine Stegemann
Subject: WebCore Port
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:04:02 +0200

Hi,

i just want to inform you that i started porting WebCore to GNUstep about two weeks ago. As far as i can tell now, things are progressing rapidly also i expect some problems when it comes to putting everything together. Currently i've ported 46 classes, some are tested. Porting of the Qt-Emulation classes seems quite easy since most of the code is C++. The Objective-C part can be 'outsourced' and is accessed from C++ by using C-functions. What makes work a little bit annoying sometimes is that the developers mixed Carbon and Cocoa occasionally. I think it will become more difficult when work comes
to porting the bridge classes that provide an Objective-C interface to
WebCore because C++ and Objective-C are mixed quite heavily here. But
my impression is that it can be done.

Work on ViewIt also continues. I expect to release a new version in three
or four weeks when i'am back from holidays. This version will contain a
first (alpha) version of a ghostview-independent PDF rendering engine.
I managed to render text and some basic drawing until now but especially
the text drawing needs some more work. I need to get my hands on a
PDF speficiation :-). Furthermore keyboard navigation will be integrated.

ciao
Stefan