Re: Programming it's a play

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Programming it's a play
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:39:36 +0100

On 2003-09-21 13:32:02 +0000 Pascal J.Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:

metaclasses ? you mean Class ?

No, metaclass: the class of a Class object.
Have a look at the files in GNUstep/System/Headers/objc !
or /usr/include/objc.

Since a Class is an object like any other, it needs a class. The class
of a Class  is a metaclass. Since the  class of a class is  a class, a
metaclass is a  class. So a metclass is an object  "like any other" so
it would need  a meta-metaclass.  Only we stop  the expenses here, and
make the metaclass special: it's its own class.

OK ! I didn't knew that aspect -- for me classes "acted" as objects (as you
could receive messages) but weren't really objects (no attributes)... Or am I
wrong too here ? I thought there was no way to add "class attributes" (eg
static variables in C++) other than create a static variable outside the class
(to make for example a singleton)

Any introduction to  Smalltalk should explain that better  than me, or
the original Objective-C book:

Object Oriented Programming
Brad J. Cox
Addison Wesley