DirectFB and RDS [was: Questions for deploying GNUStep]

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: DirectFB and RDS [was: Questions for deploying GNUStep]
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 12:21:41 +0100

On 2003-10-08 04:58:27 +0000 Chad Hardin <cehardin@mac.com> wrote:

I was working on a DirectFB backend for quite a while. However, I discovered that the way DirectFB handles multiple applications is via a cooperative sharing scheme.
DirectFB would be nice, but cooperative multitasking would be a step back.

Well, that's true, but it's not automatically relevant to GNUstep, is it ?
Because what
should be cooperative is the graphic part; but it could be a single application
(a display server). So in fact you'll have multiple gnustep applications
running,
each connected to the display server. From the directfb point of view, only
one application will be running -- the display server.
I looked a bit on directfb months ago, and that's what I thought would be better
to implement (using alex's rds server). As I didn't went in the details, I am
perhaps
very wrong ...

--
Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com>