Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep

From: Eric Heintzmann
Subject: Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:14:23 +0200

Vaisburd, Haim wrote:
From: Chris B. Vetter <chrisv@web4inc.com>

By default, GNUstep installs into /usr/GNUstep. See -core/compile-all.

Sorry for misinformation. I consistently get it in /opt
even for clean installs. Does that mean that configure
reads GNUSTEP... environment variables?

I'm aware you're talking Linux here, but let me just add that not every
(other) OS does have /opt...

But Eric was talking about Debian, which is, I presume, Linux... ;-))

Yes, currently all Debian Distributions are based on Linux, but there is some work on Debian/Hurd, Debian/FreeBSD, Debian/NetBSD.
At least Debian/Hurd will be included in stable distributions when ready.

http://www.debian.org/ports

/opt seems to me like a good place for "packages" like GNUstep, kde, qt etc.
that have their own directory layout. If there are reasons for not having
or not using /opt, I would like to learn them.

Tima.