Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:14:21 +0200

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 10:33 AM, Chad Hardin wrote:
I see GNUstep a little differently than most of the GNUstep developers; I see it as a opportunity to create a desktop system which people will actually want to use, not be forced to.

:-)

We have KDE and GNOME, and although a lot of really admirable work has been put into them, the interface is still basically a Windows clone, in the UI sense.

Hm, well, XD2 looks much more like Aqua than GNUstep. I agree that KDE is pretty much focused on being a Windows clone. I think it is a misconception that other people are not aware of MacOSX and are not realizing what is good about it. And I find a lot of those ideas in GNOME.

i am seeing a relatively large move to OS X, because of it's UI. I like OS X a lot and use it everyday, but the hardware is fairly expensive, which limits many people of the world to using: old versions of Windows, pirated newer copies of windows, or KDE and GNOME. I think there is room for improvement in this arena and I would like to fill that gap with a GNUstep based Desktop OS.

Hm. I think this is also a "technology-view" misconception. I think to an average user the Windows XP UI or XD2 looks almost as good as OSX. The reason why people jump on Apple is IMHO because they get a system which "just works" (tm). This is not only about software, but also about hardware and can't be accomplished with stock items.

Sample: just got a mail from my brother who bought a WLAN card for his Windows notebook. He asked how to configure that thing. Well, with Apple you just drop the Airport card in the slot and it just works! This is no magic, its just because there is exactly one piece of WLAN card to be supported. Basically MacOSX/Apple is the only system I know which really works well with Notebooks. And certainly the only Unix system which does.

To shorten: MacOSX isn't popular because of AppKit being used as the programming library. This is certainly one piece of the puzzle, but only the whole thing (or 95%) does the actual effect.

2. Many programs do not use AppKit. E. g. servers and Web-programs.
I know, there is a shortage of GNUstep apps, but you gotta admit that a LOT of progress has been made this year!

I agree. I'm *really* impressed!

I do it for fun too. In real life I'm a Chinese linguist trying to finish my BS. When that is done I can hopefully move in to the C.S. world (My programmer mind is not really good at being a linguist)

Well, thats actually a pretty interesting thing. As far as I can see GNUstep may have some unique advantages in a Chinese/Japanese/xxx setting! I can very much believe into this being a "market" for GNUstep. Apple/NeXT seem to be very strong in this area and I guess it is because of the good abstractions in the text API.

regards,
  Helge
--
Reich wird man nicht durch das, was man verdient.
Reich wird man durch das,               was man nicht ausgibt.