Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:08:39 +0200

on 10/23/03 4:47 AM, tech@bishop.dhs.org at tech@bishop.dhs.org wrote:

> On the last Qt vs. Cocoa flamewar on cocoa-dev, the comment was made
> that one very obvious difference between the two is that with Qt,
> there's a GUI builder, but real men don't use it.  In Cocoa, there's a
> GUI builder, and only fools don't use it.  I'm a firm believer in using
> a GUI to build a GUI, and vim for everything else...

in my very _humble_ opinion: I love the IB or Gorm stuff. This is one of the
main reasons why I am investing such time in learing GNUstep, testing, etc
(someone noticed?).
And even if someone here likes to call me a lamer, which maybe I am, I am a
hardcore VI is everything guy. But if you want to develop a well designed
user interface, maintain it... well the design paradigm of IB & company is
just the best thing I ever found around. I always hated GUI programming, i
never grasped it and always thought it clumsy (ranging from X11 stuff to
classic Macos...). Currently I accept only NIB files and well, for some
small things it is nice to just code directly some java-AWT.
But seriously, I think apple's development environment is cool and
productive. It is nice if you have to do programs that live form interface,
if you have to develop quickly and _nobody_ hinders you to code everything
and use VI.
If you read on stepwise the articles of some years ago on why OpenStep was
better than say standard windows or Mac development: rapid prototyping, less
coding, highly maintainable applications were the stressed points. A lot of
custom applications were developed wit that.

This is why I believe in Gorm and help Gregory as much as I can in testing
and reporting possible improvments. ProjectCenter is "stalled" but it has
changed maintainer so maybe it will improve better in the future.

-Riccardo