Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:34:55 +0100

On 24.10.2003, at 20:51, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:
Notably NeXTstep never had such a great ProjectBuilder, Class-Browser, etc. It was always pretty much bare bones. PBX is a bit better but still not comparable to "real" IDEs like Eclipse or (duck) VisualStudio.
This is correct, but this has negative as well as positive aspects. Of course PB was not an IDE, but the entire philosophy of the system was similar to Unix, where many tools are intended to work together.

Yes. (but I think that wasn't the original point ;-)

Of course it is outdated, but again its philosophy is not. Imagine something like NEXTSTEP based on modern technologies, I bet it would be very attractive :-)

Hm, like MacOSX? ;-)

Well ... whether Windows is important basically comes down to what the "GS project" is. Philip sees GS as EOF+WO and in this case I fully agree, Windows is absolutely crucial. All successful Web development environment run and need to run on Windows, this is true for PHP, Zope, MySQL, J2EE, etc.
But do you (both then) really believe that such a GS approach could compete with those already widely adopted technologies? Of course some would use it, but would GS as such benefit from that?

As I wrote in some other mail, definitely no. But on the other side I don't believe into GNUstep-UI either ;-) So if you would ask me what is "achievable", I would prefer WO over AppKit - I believe that the current team could get that project to a stability/usability like gstep-base - but only, if all the core people work on it.

Of course. AFAIK WO as a product did never sell very well, but of course a few very good consulting projects brought a very good revenue on the service side. I think that this is still very true even with WO being Java now.
So do you think something like GDL2+GSWeb could get into this niche? Or do you think it would even be able to break out of this niche?

No, not really. Almost all former WO 4.5 "customers" already switched to Java or Zope, so from that former niche only very very few would still switch back to Objective-C/WO. (of course some will do, but only a small fraction of the previously small niche).

Eg the OGo contains a very stable, fast and mature implementation of the WO API, yet nobody is interested in that. People are interested in applications (eg like OpenGroupware.org).

Maybe if GNUstep would not push WO itself, but rather some applications built using WO, this could work out. Eg some really good CMS (not hard to beat Typo3!), some really good LDAP web browser, a much better WebMin etc. - really most of the available PHP web applications su** and could be replaced by better technology.

I don't know - I guess this won't happen anyway, since the current GS community doesn't take on a common goal to work on (or is unable to get together to find a useful common goal).

Greets
  Helge
--
OpenGroupware.org