Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:51:44 +0100

Am 26.10.2003 um 14:12 schrieb Pete French:
4. CoreFoundation is almost ported to Linux.

Maybe its the fact that I have flu which makes me think "uh-oh" when I see this, but doesnt CF give you all the things that base does ? i.e. theres
a CFString and an CFArray ?

Actually, I don't know exactly, what GSArray is specifically for. As far as I see, it is a real class. CFArray therefore is a non OO implementation of an array and it serves as the base for a real NSArray. NSArray is mostly a wrapper for a CFArray.

...and under OSX those are interchangeable.

Not everything is interchangeable. If I recall that right, even the majority is not.

So I can use a CFArray anywhere
that I can use an NSArray, and vice-versa. A pointers to a CFArray is also
a pointer to an NSArray.

But if some well meaning soul goes and ports CF to Linux and then people try and mix this with GNUstep then it isnt going to work, because a pointer to
a CFArray isnt a pointer to an NSArray anymore.

It could be. Depending, on how this kind soul implements it.

CF in GNUstep needs to work as it does in OSX.

I do agree with that. But I would like to repeat here, that when we got it into the minds of those programmers, that GS is a viable possibility to open the Windows and Linux market afterwards, that they would try not to use CF. The few moments, where Cocoa doesn't offer an alternative to CF, we have already a possibility in GS. I mean, look e. g. into the OmniFrameworks: The CF part is very, very small and easely replacable. But as long as the MOSX people don't think, that GS is something usable, they won't consider it in their planning.

Which includes the toll free
bridging. I think we either need to implement our own CF as wrappers round the exisiting GNUstepo base objects (which is a nice easy way to do it) or else
rip out our own base and replace it with the CF stuff surely ?

You're basically right.

Re
Phil