Re: GDL2/EOF scaling (was: Re: GNUstep roadmap)

From: Patrick Coskren
Subject: Re: GDL2/EOF scaling (was: Re: GNUstep roadmap)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:52:14 -0500

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 02:30  PM, Helge Hess wrote:

The reasons why EOF is hyped are mostly (not completely!) the high level features which are based on the idea to map enterprise objects to database rows and this just doesn't scale. If you have 50.000 person entries with 150.000 address entries you just cannot afford to load all that as objects into memory just because you want to display "name", "city" and "street". Objects have a deep and inherent mismatch with the set approach taken by RDBMS.

If you've got an app that's loading all those entries at once, then it's a batch app. And EOF isn't designed for batch processing. You're right as far as that goes. But in any end-user app, you're only loading a subset of the rows (and probably a small subset at that) into memory. So the object paradigm of EOF works very well.

And yes, I know about all the hacks to workaround the issue like artificially creating subset entities etc, this is
a) only available to experts which know the hacks

One man's hacks are another man's techniques, I guess. It's not like these things aren't documented. Setting display attributes, pre-fetching, auto-faulting (it's been a while, so I might be getting the terminology a bit wrong) are all features of the framework that are supported by the tools, and work as they were designed to. It's really not very complicated in practice: I was able to dramatically increase the performance of one web app just by making a couple of tweaks to checkboxes in EOModeler.

Well, as mentioned before I *really* do not want to educate someone about EOF! ;-) If it does the task for you - fine. I just found out of me that EOF just doesn't provide me anything I need but in contrary does a lot of things I certainly do not need.

Personally, I found EOF no harder to learn than JDBC, and I was a hell of a lot more productive with it. YMMV, I suppose.

-Patrick