Re: ANNOUNCE GWorkspace 0.6.1

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE GWorkspace 0.6.1
Date: 29 Oct 2003 02:11:32 GMT

Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:
> > > In the end, a preference option would probably suit all our needs :-)
> > ...apart from my need not to configure preferences on every machine
> > that I use. Let's figure out what's "best".
> This isn't very constructive, now, is it?

With respect, I think it is constructive. We should double-check whether
or not quitting GWorkspace can cause data loss and only have a "Are
you sure?" if it does (as in the NS3.3 UI guide). Preferences are not
something to be used every time that there is a design question to be
asked. That leads to one hell of a mess, both in the user experiences of
GNUstep and in trying to debug things ("attach your configuration file"
as well as "explain what happened").

I'm not convinced by the "you can quit it when you meant hide" argument. Why
is this more of a problem for GWorkspace than other applications?

I can be convinced by other arguments. Then again, I'm not the one to
convince.