Re: The Poll ends! (Was: Are we too serious these days?)

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: The Poll ends! (Was: Are we too serious these days?)
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:48:14 -0800

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:29:15 +0100
Riccardo Mottola <multix@ngi.it> wrote:
> on 11/5/03 11:00 PM, Chris B. Vetter at chrisv@web4inc.com wrote:
> > No.
> > The Latin 'hora' means "hour".
> > The Latin "ora" (with an accented long o) means "border", "brim" or
> > "edge" and can be used as a synonym for "region" or "country".
> yep, sorry, there was some confusion here.
> The second significate of "ora" is the imperative of the verb orare
> (=to pray).

'To pray' is only one of its meanings. First of all it means 'to plead',
'to treat' or 'to argue'. Second meaning would be 'to pray' or 'to beg'.

However...

'Ora' (uppercase O with an accent) is another name for Hersilia, the
Sabinian wife of Romulus (the guy who founded Rome).

When she herself became a divinity, she was called 'Ora', meaning
'Youth'.

> Giving GNUstep a name with the meaning "Pray!" is not distant from
> giving it the name borka.

Exactly ;-)

--
Chris