Re: The Poll ends! (Was: Are we too serious these days?)

From: M. Grabert
Subject: Re: The Poll ends! (Was: Are we too serious these days?)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:31:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Nicola Pero wrote:

> (got interested by the Latin, even if it's totally off-topic I can't
> resist)
>
> ... I though "ora" meant "mouth" (and from that "orator" (speaker),

after googling the net I found quite a lot of meanings for 'ora':

As a noun:

edge, margin, rim, border, boundary / coast
coast-line, sea-coast
region, clime, district, country
residents of a district
dew (cf. ros, funis, roris)
mouth (actually n. plural of 'os')

as a verb:

'pray!' (imperative of orare: to pray, plead,
         speak before a court or assembly)

BTW, 'Ora' obviously also means "light" in herew.

And now I'd like to make an end of the discussions of the word 'ora',
since this is getting really off-topic ...

So far I've only heard one reasonable name: "Skana", and I already
told you that I like it. So there is no need to discuss 'ora' anymore
if nobody else is interested in this name ;)

As for choosing a name that rhymes with "Orca", I don't think we'll find
any good ones. Such a word would end in -oca, -ora, or -orca, since it is
unlikely that if you change any vowels it would still rhyme.

The only reasonable candidate I found is "Lora", but it really
doesn't rhyme too much, so I'd rather prefer a name with a good meaning
or background. Furthermore "Lora" sounds like the name of parrot, rather
than an Orca ;)

BTW, I do NOT find 'Dorka' a reasonable name :-P

greetings,
   Max