Re: GNUstep on Darwin!

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Darwin!
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:44:58 +1100

JP wrote
> I've successfully build and installed all the way up through -base on
> darwin using gnu-gnu-gnu. I used GNUstep's libobjc, and pyobjc's
> libffi. In gui I am getting this error:
> Making all for service GSspell...
> Creating GSspell.service/....
> Compiling file GSspell.m ...
> Linking service GSspell ...
> Creating GSspell.service/Resources...
> Creating GSspell.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist...
> dyld: ././shared_obj/make_services Undefined symbols:
> rest_world
> save_world
> make[2]: *** [GSspell.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [GSspell.all.service.variables] Error 2
> make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

1.  To state the obvious:
At static link time ld has found these symbols in specified dylibs.  At
run time the library in question is either missing from the default and
explicit DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH or another library with the same name not
containing the symbols is ahead of it in DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.
2.  I am banging my head because I have seen this, and fixed it before.
Now I cannot find exactly where that was.
3.  I suspect that dyld is picking up one of the default Apple libraries
with the same name as a GNU library but the symbols are missing in one of
them.  I keep thinking this is something to do with the runtime library
libobjc.dylib.  I know in Swarm we changed the name of the Objective-C
runtime to libswarmobjc to avoid this type of problem.

Bill Northcott