Re: [OT] GentooLinux GNUstep Developer

From: david wallin
Subject: Re: [OT] GentooLinux GNUstep Developer
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:16:33 +0000

I'm running gentoo myself and think its pretty good. Maybe CRUX is for you :

http://www.crux.nu/

--david.

On Wednesday, November 26, 2003, at 01:50 PM, Ian Jones wrote:

Hi,

I don't believe what you are saying about this being a chance for Gnustep to be used by more people than developers. Gentoo seems to be aimed at higher level linux folks / developers than a lot of other distributions. I don't think it is really to be considered a user distribution? I agree that it would be great to get GNUstep easy to install and for people to try and use, but I'm not sure this distribution is the one that could put GNUstep infront of a large 'user' possible developer audience. Does Gentoo have a binary installation option or is it only a compile everything from scratch distro?

This is only my own personal opinion and I'm sure people will tell me if it's an incorrect one about gentoo, unfortunately I haven't tried it myself yet (did try to install it on a machine one but it was a laptop and the install failed). I wouldn't mind giving my time to such a thing but I would like whichever platform the time is dedicated to, to be a popular one or even one that is easy for people to install so that you could create more a system than just a distro with GNUstep on it with the potential to become popular, I guess I'm still wanting what LinuxSTEP was promised to be or maybe what SimplyGNUstep or whatever it's called these days is aiming for.

The qualities I'm looking for is a unix like base system which is minimal (one CD install or floppy boot and net install), only what is required to run GNUstep and a handful of fundamental unix tools inc gcc, must be easy to install and preferably have an existing and 'good' packagemanagement system. If someone knows of such a thing please let me know. :)

Regards,

Ian

NeXT <chunsj@embian.com> wrote:
The GentooLinux team currently finding developer/maintainer of GNUstep
for Gentoo.

They seemed unresponsive when I was using Gentoo, so I changed
distribution.
I think helping the Debian GNUstep packages would have a larger effect.

That's your point of view ... Many people leave debian because Gentoo
packages are always 'up to date'
and very easy to configure and use.

Moreover, the process of automatic compilation in Gentoo is a real success, so Gnustep could be very easily maintained, installed directly from sources .... So, without any problem of library and versions. (problems that I often
encountered on debian)

It think it could be a real chance to Gnustep to be more used by other
people than developpers.

Cheers

Stéphane PERON