Re: [OT] GentooLinux GNUstep Developer

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: [OT] GentooLinux GNUstep Developer
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:32:57 -0500

thisguyisi wrote:

> MJ Ray wrote:
>
> > On 2003-11-28 03:44:30 +0000 Chad Hardin <cehardin@mac.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Well, they can use the official Debian packages then, what's the
> >> problem?
> >
> > There aren't enough wizards working on the Debian packages. It would
> > be great to see some of the undoubted skill on this list used on them
> > instead of producing policy-busting contrib packages for no apparent
> > good reason.
>
> Is it ego, or what?

No, and I see no reason to think it might be.

> Why, as a lurker, do I constantly read about developers doing 4 to 6
> different versions of almost the same thing?

You say that as if it were a bad thing; it's not. Lots of people seem to be
thinking like you can get a baby in a month by getting nine women pregnant,
when it just ain't so.

> Are GNUstep developers allergic to collaboration?

No.

> Why is it that nobody seems to agree on anything, or at least seems
> unwilling to discuss issues and come to a consensus?

Because there are multiple "camps" of developers, with multiple visions of
what they want.

[snip]

> To an outside observer, the project, and developers, seem very
> disorganized and unfocused.

The actual GNUstep project is smaller in terms of the number of developers
than the list of people who develop using it. Even if the whole project were
unified and moving in one direction, you would not see it because they are a
minority in here.

[snip]