WebCore

From: stefan
Subject: WebCore
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:36:31 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Good news. Yesterday i managed to solve the problem with the corrupt
RenderTree that prevented the WebCore port from rendering html
properly (no background-color, wrong tables, no next adjustion, ...).
After a debugging nightmare, It turned out that there were some files
missing in the resources of my testing application. KHTML stores the
html rendering rules in separate css-files that are loaded at runtime.
I simply forgot (or did not think about it when writing the corresponding
wrapper function) to issue a warning if these files are not found. Placing
the files in the Resources of TestApp solved the problem and things are
now looking much, much better. It was a real stupid error that could have
been solved by introducing assertions or warnings at development time :-(
but in the end, all errors tend to be "stupid". I will improve some other
things and update the WebCore porting log with new screenshots hopefully
on wednesday.

Thanks for reading so far.

Now, what are my plans with webcore? Your ideas are welcome and needed.
My current idea is not to release WebCore on it's own but instead together
with something like WebKit. This can a simple WebView first. WebCore on
it's own is of no value since it cannot be used without providing an
"environment" of factories and other stuff. My next step will be to
create a WebView class that is able to load and display content and then
make a first release. This will of course have some or many errors and
lack of some untested things (eg. JavaScript). Based on this release
i think other people can contribute to the port.

ciao
Stefan