Re: Obj-C Namespacing

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Obj-C Namespacing
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 16:48:54 +0100

Calvin Mitchell wrote:
> (Hoping i'm not igniting the flames) Objective-C is
> not a dead language (like Sumerian or Akkadian)...why
> don't we ADD NAME SPACES TO OBJECTIVE-C????

If it can be done cleanly (semantics and syntax), without complicating
things (compiler, runtime, etc.) too much, and without breaking
compatibility, it'd be worth looking at. I can't say more than that
without an actual proposal.

> It's so powerful an idea and would solve SO MANY
> issues with GNUstep programming...

While it's something with a decent potential for causing issues, I know
of no actual issue that this has caused. Can you give an example?

> does Objective-C++
> (feeling the fire on my ass already) have namespace
> support?

Only c++ namespaces for c++ stuff; all objective-c stuff must be in the
"default" namespace (if I'm reading the gcc sources right).

- Alexander Malmberg