Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Andreas Hoeschler
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:43:21 +0100

Why don't we just let WinDoze die?

Yep good point. But, how do we start that?

Develop good (business) applications for GNUstep, deploy on open source platforms and wait until Microsoft finally died. They will die sooner or later. I just heard that China is about to purchase 1.000.000.000 computer systems. I am not sure whether I got the figure right (sounds so huge), but even if it were only 50.000.000, it's still a lot. They founded a company that is supposed to figure out which system best fits their needs and open source is a strong argument for them. It is said that Microsoft is not even taken into consideration.

In this presentation they also remarked that there are already more handhelds and other mobile devices out there than WinTel PCs, so Microsoft still dominates the PC market, but who cares, if mobile devices, thin clients (Sun Ray) and other neat new developments more and more replace the fat and expensive (total costs of ownership) Wintel PC.

The attraction of making money on the still-existing
WinDoze market notwithstanding, aren't we in reality
trying to change the world's entire attitude toward
software?

Yep and change means migration. First we run GNUstep on windows then we throw windows away :)

I agree. Being able to run stuff on a windows PC is still important to get the foot in the door (enterprise market). As soon as you are in you can tell them that a Sun Ray or a small Linux appliance better suits their needs and push them to migrate to more reasonable setups.

This said, it will most likely still take a few years until Microsoft is history. In the meanwhile it would be helpful to have a windows port (migration path for companies with large windows installations).

Regards,

        Andreas