Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:23:29 +0100

Le 3 nov. 03, à 22:52, Chris B. Vetter a écrit :

Quentin Mathé <gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr> wrote:

Le 3 nov. 03, à 19:02, Chris B. Vetter a écrit :

Howl has several problems.
One is that it is blocking your application as you need to enter
Howl's own runloop. You can try to 'isolate' it in a separate
thread, but then again, AppKit itself isn't thread-safe.

but could we imagine in this case to perform the AppKit calls in the
main thread (to discard the thread-safety issue)…

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

First, sorry for the one month late reply, but I missed your message.

What I mean here is we can use DO for inter threads communication in order to execute each AppKit method in the main thread, and not in the special Howl thread. A method like performSelectorOnMainThread in Cocoa would make that a bit easier.

As far as I digged into Howl, you will have to call their runloop, which
will never return (!) and use some delegate functions that handle
"messages" from the runloop (kinda similar to Apple's implementation).
You can probably "isolate" the runloop in a separate thread (well,
that's what the docu suggests) but, as I said, AppKit isn't thread-safe,
so you might run into several problems here.

… I have seen also that Apple has released an implementation for mDNSResponder posix and windows compatible.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr