Re: GNUmakefile covering sources in different directories

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: GNUmakefile covering sources in different directories
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:55:50 -0800

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:15:22 +0000 (GMT)
Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
> To understand the issue, you need to make a clear difference between
> 'subprojects' and 'aggregate projects'.
> subprojects are declared using xxx_SUBPROJECTS = ...
> aggregate projects are declared using SUBPROJECTS = ...
[...]

I just ran into a problem with SUBPROJECT myself...

What I do:
I'm working on a framework, using SUBPROJECTs for a cleaner directory
and source layout. Classes are grouped per directory, depending on their
purpose, eg.

  Foo.project/
    FileHandling.subproj/
    NetworkHandling.subproj/

However, although they technically belong to ONE Framework, I want/need
to have the header files installed in different locations, that is, eg.

.../Library/Headers/FileHandling -> .../Library/Frameworks/Foo/Headers
.../Library/Headers/NetworkHandling-> .../Library/Frameworks/Foo/Headers

That is, they can point to the framework's header directory.
I just want/need to use
  #include <FileHandling/foo.h>
and
  #include <NetworkHandling/bar.h>

I know I can specify a different header install directory (basically
at top-level) using <framework name>_HEADER_FILES_INSTALL_DIR but HOW
can this (cleanly) be 'modified' to also apply to SUBPROJECTs ?

Something like

  <subproject name>_HEADER_FILES_INSTALL_DIR = Foobar

in SUBPROJECT's GNUmakefile would be nice.

I don't want to use ln(1) in GNUmakefile.postamble...

--
Chris