Re: NSData help needed

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: NSData help needed
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 22:09:44 +0100

On 24.12.2003, at 13:29, Dennis Leeuw wrote:
I am writing a tool that will parse the iCal data.

You might want to take a look into the sources of OpenGroupware.org. We provide two different iCal SAX drivers as well as some higher level objects for dealing with iCal (NGiCal).

I am at the point that I have all file I/O figured out.
The current Calendar (and .ics file) is stored like this:

currentCalendar = [NSFileHandle fileHandleForReadingAtPath:inCalendar];
calendarData = [currentCalendar readDataToEndOfFile];

Why don't you use [NSData dataWithContentsOfMappedFile:]?

But now I need to walk through the newCalendarData to figure out where
events start and finish. But I can't find any documentation that
describes this in a newbie way.

Well, since iCal is a text based format, you probably should first convert it to an NSString (initWithData:encoding:). Then you could use NSScanner or just write an own iCal parser which steps through the characters of the string.

Greets,
  Helge
--
I'm describing in a paragraph what took 14 hours to figure out. You may want to sniff glue for a while, then reread this when you get out of rehab. [aLa]