Re: [Q] CoreFoundation on Linux ?

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: [Q] CoreFoundation on Linux ?
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:02:11 -0800

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 16:18:54 +0900 (KST)
"S.J.Chun" <chunsj@embian.com> wrote:
> The code in Apple is different from OpenDarwin CVS ?

OpenDarwin "is" Apple's code.
At least that is where several of Apple's developer web pages about
source are pointing to.

> If so, I will try it. For me, it seems that the data structure of
> CoreFoundation is made so that it can interchangeable with
> FoundationKit's equivalents, so
[...]

As far as I can tell, it's the other way around. CoreFoundation is a(n
ugly to look at) mix of C and some C++ building the 'foundation'
Foundation and AppKit are based upon.

Or to put it differently, Foundation and (parts of) AppKit are ObjC
wrappers for CoreFoundation.

> I think I can do this job for GNUstep

Check-out CoreFoundation on OpenDarwin's CVS and take a look at the
comments in 'README'

[...]
March 2000:
  partial port to Linux by Pedro Ivo Tavares (ptavares@iname.com)
December 2000:
  port to FreeBSD by Sarwat Khan (sarwat@sarwat.net).
June 2001:
  Linux port maintenance by Robert Thompson <rothomp3@mac.com>.
[...]

There's no indication that contacts have changed.
CoreFoundation builds as a library, not as a framework (as it apparently
does on Darwin), there's no port for anything related to MACH ports
(obviously, though the functionality could be mimicked via IPC) and the
FreeBSD port is missing the RunLoop stuff.

If anyone from Apple is lurking here, please correct me if I'm wrong...

--
Chris