Re: XML idea

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:45:13 -0800 (PST)

> I believe the issue of  getting the copyright assigned was looked into
> and there were idealogical reasons for the copyright holders not doing
> it.
Some consideration ought to be given to moving sort of stuff elsewhere,
then. We do not require copyright assignments in PortabilityKit, for
instance.

> I really don't think you can produce a definitive statement on new
> MacOS-X features ... they keep changing.
Exactly, and this is what PortabilityKit is for.
> Some we might want to incorporate directly into the base library
> (probably most changes to existing classes
Yes, this is what I think would be the best plan, assuming there aren't
huge objections.
> and new classes we think are really well designed), others we might put
> in the additions library for compatibility
> but not treat as 'core'.
This is misguided. You either support if or you don't. I'd rather see the
code end up in PortabilityKit than in some unsupported or
semi-quasi-supported part of GNUstep.
> In other words, I think that if/when we get contributions of MacOS-X
> classes we don't particularly like, we could
> put them in the additions library, and document them as unsupported or
> semi-supported ... meaning that the
> core developers would give low priority to their support.
....See above. Why accept implementations of things you aren't going
to/dont want to support? There's no point.