Re: XML idea

From: thisguyisi
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:15:41 -0800

Adam Fedor wrote:

On 2004-01-07 11:04:00 -0800 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:

No worries, but I created PortabilityKit in large part to *escape* the political whining that goes on with stuff being in core. GNUstep is not a cocoa clone, nor should it be. That being said, there's no reason we can't make PortabilityKit easy to get/make/use. Maybe even a --with-PortabilityKit flag for configure-all with a nice big warning/disclaimer would be cool...just a thought.

That would be best. My fear was that someday, somebody's going to build GNUstep on their machine and expect Cocoa apps to just build (quite reasonably, given the way this thing's been promoted). And then somebody on this list is going to say, in a condescending tone, "You have to go download X and install it. Don't you know anything?"

I think it would be better to have some kind of installation app which could do this - it would make things a lot simpler. Basically it would be simple enough to start with whatever the user had currently installed and be able to pull in all the other libraries, frameworks, apps, etc that could be useful.