Dockng windows to each other (was RE: NSToolbar)

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: Dockng windows to each other (was RE: NSToolbar)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:35:11 -0800

M. Uli Kusterer wrote:

> In short, the general idea is that the various "panes" of a window can
> be "ripped out" and turned into separate windows, or several such
> windows can be re-assembled back together.

Yes, I think it is a very powerful idea. I used to think about that for
quite a while. In my mind, different apps can dock to each other,
and the docking would change their behavior: they would know to communicate.
Something like a micro-network within a desktop.

This way complex applications (e.g. development environment, or
publishing environment (I'm thinking of LaTeX) can be assembled on the fly.
The simplest is to dock 2 file manager windows to each other and have a
Norton
Commander :-)

> Of course, to the application programmers, all of this would look like
> one honkin' big window

So - not nesessarily.

I have to admit though that I do not know how to implement that.
I feel something about DO-based protocols the apps would use to communicate,
but that's all I can tell for now.

Cheers,
Tima.