Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Co

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Cocoa...)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:52:07 -0500

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

> Jeff Teunissen <deek@d2dc.net> wrote on 13.01.2004 13:55:00:
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> > And just because something was created by the heir apparent to the
> > main publisher of the OpenStep specification doesn't mean it's
> > automatically good.
>
> most of the time I read something from you on the list it is a rant
> against any new feature to GNUstep that is not covered by the OpenStep
> specs.

It appears to me that you are somewhat unfamiliar with the concept of
evolution vs. revolution.

Why do I feel the need to say this stuff? In part, it's because it saves me
from having to start a fork; in part, it's because being a clone of Cocoa
(or of OPENSTEP, for that matter) is a sure-fire path to perpetual
obsolescence for GNUstep. But mostly, it's because what I'm saying is true.

> It appears to me that you are somewhat religious when it comes to
> discussions on that topic. So I ask you naive why don't you get an
> ancient NeXT Box, run OPENSTEP on it (so you are as close to OpenStep as
> possible, but if this is to slow to you just use OPENSTEP/Intel) and
> live happily ever after?

Please keep religious arguments out of this -- I have no religion, least of
all a pathetic Cult of NeXT (a subset of the equally-pathetic Cult of
Steve). My opinions -- all of them -- on user interface design (graphical
and otherwise) have been reached through research and reason, not faith. Why
have I not "jumped on the bandwagon"? Because the alternatives that have
been presented are more ugly, less consistent, and less efficient.

I have been led to understand that GNUstep intentionally looks NeXTish.
Seems to look that way here. Perhaps I'm not the one being religious, hmm?