Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Co

From: Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Cocoa...)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:43:19 +0100

In article <mailman.588.1074046264.928.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Jason Clouse <jhclouse@charter.net> wrote:

> On 2004-01-13 17:43:01 +0100 Alexander Malmberg
> <alexander@malmberg.org> wrote:
> > The problem with NSToolbar (and, in general, other bad changes)
> > ultimately lies in the
> > interface (ie. the API, not the UI). It can't be well implemented.

Could you elaborate? This sounds exactly like the things I wanted to
hear when I started this. To me it looks like a MVC design that *almost*
works transparently if you already have menu item handling code.

In fact, it works pretty much like a menu, just that it's
user-configurable. You create toolbar items/menu items you validate
them, you assign them a name and an action and a tool tip...

Is it that the OS asks you to create items and from then on you don't
control? Is it how custom views in toolbar items are handled? Is it that
NSWindow keeps a pointer to its toolbar though it could just be yet
another NSView to which you connect an outlet?

Curiously,
-- Uli
"Where oh where has my server gone..."