No text at all when using back-art

From: Diego Carretero Frades
Subject: No text at all when using back-art
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:11:54 +0100

Hi, all!

I'm quite new to GNUstep but very impressed with all the work done.

I installed from sources the latest versions (1.9.0 for make and base, 0.9.1
for gui and back) and everything worked flawlessly. Browsing some info I
read that the back-art backend was a lot better handling fonts than the
baxk-xlib (which was the one installed by default). I decided to give it a
try and recompile gnustep-back with './configure --enable-graphics=art'. The
compilation and installation where ok, but when I try to load GNUmail I got
all the windows and menus with no text at all. Also some messages about
negative size being given to draw the windows. I've installed nfonts
(through the Art-resources package) in my own home GNUstep directory and
system wide with same results.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm running a Slackware Linux 9.1 distribution with kernel 2.6.1, XFree86
4.3.0 and FreeType 2.1.5. The compiler is gcc 3.2.3.

Thank you very much!

Diego