Re: App Naming Nazi (was: Re: Gstreamer)

From: thisguyisi
Subject: Re: App Naming Nazi (was: Re: Gstreamer)
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:51:29 -0800

[...]
What about G for Gsteamer?

That's precisely the point. G<something> is commonly used for *GTK* and
*GNOME* stuff, while K<something> refers to KDE.

So, using G<something>(.app) is misleading [...]
<something>Step(.app), or Step<something>(.app) would certainly identify the app as a GNUstep (OpenStep-complaint) .app, avoiding confusion with typical GNOME naming schemes.

However, I think the point about app naming is that the schemes above seem generic, uninspired, unimaginative, cheezy, ugly, tacky, <insert favorite derisive adjective here>, to many.

Personally, I just think that the apps should be named in a fashion that is elegant. One of the defining aspects of the NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP environments was the elegance and fit of the app's name to its function. It would be nice if we could keep in the same spirit.

Best Regards,
-Lee