Re: How to do basic user/pass storage..

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: How to do basic user/pass storage..
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:40:36 +0100

Jason Clouse wrote:

On 2004-01-27 16:10:48 +0900 S.J.Chun <chunsj@embian.com> wrote:

I think you can just encrypt your passwd data and store it using MySQL.

I may have been a little confusing there. I'm not talking about storing usernames and passwords *in* a MySQL database. I'm talking about storing database connection information on the local machine. So people can store their connection info for different MySQL database servers. I was just wondering if there were some encryption / decryption classes in base. Then I could store the information in the defaults system.

Encryption is out of scope for the -base library, but you could have a look at the dev-libs/gscrypt library. I'm not sure whether it's in production use and how the API really works.

While I'm on that topic, why not store each defaults domain in a separate file?

This has been suggested before and IIRC there are arguments for and against it (please check the archives) and no argument was convincing enough to alter the implementation.