Re: gnustep-make and NSPathUtilities patch

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: gnustep-make and NSPathUtilities patch
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 03:51:10 +0100

Sheldon Gill wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've looked into the changes implied in gnustep-make by my NSPathUtilities
> patch and created a solution which I think is right. This is the proposal,
> uncluttered by patches...
>
> THE KEY CHANGE:
> GNUstep now relies on a configuration file to determine paths. The file is
> '/etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf'

FWIW, this doesn't seem like a good idea to me. While it might be nice
to not have to source GNUstep.sh, I don't think a global configuration
file would be an improvement (and even less so when you have to add a
host of new tools to deal with it).

> {a conf file is the Unix/POSIX thing to do.

GNUstep isn't Unix. We should figure out what the (GNU-)step thing to do
is. :)

[snip]
> 2. It's nice to have a tool to open any installed GNUstep application. Let's
> call it $open.app$ for arguments sake. Should we install $open.app$ into
> /usr/bin as well?  (I think so. It's a tool for all users.)

This does not seem to be related to the path handling proposal.