Re: test driven development for GNUstep

From: Travis Griggs
Subject: Re: test driven development for GNUstep
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:45:58 -0800

Mostly off topic, but...

Once upon a time, I wrote an OCUnit like thing. Alex M was a big help with some of the stuff. I wanted something that was very SUnit like, and it was a great opportunity to learn a little ObjC.

In the end, I scrapped it. Or quit using it at least. I concluded that while unit testing in compiled C like language, it's nice to have an object model of your tests, but in the end, you really need to use the preprocessor to make it easy to write quick tests with good output. So I sampled a number of the one's out there, and now I use check. I love it because its very lightweight (just one library/header); runs each test in separate memory spaces, doesn't have a bunch of convoluted Assert variants, has output that when using vim/emacs jumps me right to the failing assert, comes in a debian package. With a teensy bit of script work, we even got rid of the boiler plate setup code, and were able to munge the output into JUnit savvy XML so CruiseControl could consume it. In the future, I'll be pushing ObjC into the core program itself more, but for tests I'll just stick with this Check thing.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential to and/or copyrighted by Key Technology.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply email
and immediately delete this email.  Use, disclosure or reproduction of this
email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.
Any views expressed in the email are those of the individual sender unless the
sender expressly states them to be the views of Key Technology.  No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses.
Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.