Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:12:31 +0100

Am 03.02.2004 um 20:44 schrieb John Stiles:
On Feb 3, 2004, at 11:24 AM, Philip Mötteli wrote:
Mac developers have no need to contribute to GNUstep. We have a better version already.

Better? Foundation is sometimes very (!) annoying because of its CoreFoundation! Try e.g. to write a transparent persistence layer. Modestly said: very, very ugly. Or all those (void*) as instance variables. Impossible to handle. So on the one hand, you have a beautiful language like ObjC with a lot of runtime information and on the other hand you have Apple's Foundation implementation.
Distributed Objects are also better in GNUstep.
And if you have a problem, you debug lightning faster in GNUstep, because you trace through the source of "Foundation". Actually the only things, that are better on MOSX are AppKit and Xcode.

Come on. If you seriously think that most people would rather work with GNUstep than Cocoa, you are just deluding yourself.

Well, most of the people would rather work with Windows. So that must be better, doesn't it? That's a question of marketing. Who is caring about the marketing of GNUstep? How much is spent by Apple?

I'm glad you like it, and it's a valuable thing to work on. But it's nowhere near as complete or robust

Concerning Foundation/gnustep-gui: Why do you think that? Have you any tests? Proofs? You see, that's marketing. Because that's not true. From a pure logic point of view, GS should be much robuster, because the moment you debug your bug and step over a bug of GS, you will immediately correct it. You can't do that with Apple's Foundation. There, you have to exactly define the problem in words and/or write an example. Most of the people don't do that. Then somebody at Apple must have the time to reproduce that bug. And finally he must have the time to correct it.

Another advantage of GS is, that it can stay pure. Apple constantly makes concessions: big clients, other languages,...

Don't misunderstand me: Since spring '92, I'm earning my living and doing my studies on what's called today MOSX. Even now I'm developing on it. But, I started deploing on Linux. So I have a complete cross platform situation. Sometimes, when Xcode, which is really the opposite of mature, gets crazy, I go to GS on Linux and I continue developping there. Very useful. Saved me incredible lot of time!

Re
Phil