Re: GNUstep and the desktop

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: GNUstep and the desktop
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 06:22:50 -1100

On 2004-02-04 16:04:22 +0000 Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org> wrote:

Hi,

(...)
My proposed solution to this conflict is to explicitly turn -gui into a
desktop environment _interface_, and to move the implementation to
"desktop bundles". Desktop bundles would live outside -gui, but would
work with -gui to provide an implementation of the "desktop environment"
part of the -gui interface. Applications would be written against this
interface, and would thus work well on any implementation.

I plan on working on one "desktop bundle" implementation for Backbone,
and I hope that others will work on other implementations, ones that
integrate with other desktop existing environments (eg. for GNOME, for
KDE, for Windows, ...), or that work with a new desktop environment (eg.
for Chad's DirectFB desktop, ...).
(...)

Well, that sounds good, indeed :-)

It will solve one of GNUstep's PR problem (eg GNUstep is or is not a desktop ? ^_^) Plus, it goes very well with the GNUstep's goal of portability ... while not forbidding
a GNUstep's desktop. A perfect split imho :)

In the future, it would be great to have GNUstep/KDE, GNUstep/GNOME, GNUstep/Windows ... and GNUstep/Backbone :) bundles, and just let your app integrate seemleasly in the desktop. I guess some kind of Theme appearance will be envisageable at some point,
to better integrate.

So people focusing on portability will have clearer goals, while others interested in a true GNUstep desktop could works on without mixing with the portability goals.

Very nice !

--
Nicolas Roard