Re: GWorkspace future

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: GWorkspace future
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:53:52 +0200

On 2004-02-04 14:35:18 +0200 Larry Cow <larrycow@free.fr> wrote:

Sheldon Gill <sheldon@iinet.net.au> wrote:

This is basically fam integration. Do we need a separate daemon to wrap it?

fswatcher has nothing to do with fam. And there is no linux-specific code in
GWorkspace.
GWorkspace and fswatcher run on OS X, too. GWorkspace could be considered
"ported" to OS X since about a year if Apple would had not destroyed the
NSWorkspace class. (leaving the old documentation, moreover!)

The problem is that fam is Linux-only, IIRC. At least, it is
Unix-only. If we really want GNUstep to be platform-independent, we
should at least provide some portable framework to deal with file
alteration. And it would be this framework's responsibility to dialog
with whatever exists on the platform to monitor files (famd on linux,
win32 APIs on windows, some homemade daemon elsewhere).

My .2 eurocents.