Re: test driven development for GNUstep

From: Marco Scheurer
Subject: Re: test driven development for GNUstep
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 14:16:36 +0100

On Feb 8, 2004, at 11:28 AM, Martin Häcker wrote:

We should probably settle on what kind of testing framework we will use first...

To add to the confusion I'd like to enter TestKit <http://testkit.sourceforge.net/> into the competition here.

[...] and modeled closely after jUnit (and therefore sUnit).

OCUnit was based purely on SUnit, and then added class (and subclasses of) TestRun, which was later eventually added to Junit.

JUnit took it's own path, and some of it's "innovations", like renaming 'should' to 'assert' were folded into SUnit (but should/shouldnt still exist in SUnit and OCUnit). If anything (for good or bad) OCUnit is closer to Kent Beck's SUnit than JUnit.

IMHO, the only thing that TestKit has and is lacking in OCUnit is a good looking TestRunner GUI. OCUnit had one, but I consider it a toy as I prefer to run tests from ProjectBuilder or Xcode. Of course, it would have been nice if TestKit's author had contributed it's TestRunner to OCUnit instead of mostly reinventing the wheel.

I also failed to see under what license TestKit is distributed.

marco

Marco Scheurer
Sen:te, Lausanne, Switzerland   http://www.sente.ch