Re: Questions about the system

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Questions about the system
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 11:30:51 +0100

Robert Burns wrote:
However, I've noticed a one area where improvement might be needed. I
would like to take care of this area. I refer to the way that everything
is drawn on the screen. It appears that all of the widgets are drawn
from within the AppKit library, and not from within a separate library
like GTK and KDE use. IMHO, this is a serious defect, the resolution of
which could greatly, greatly increase the appeal and attention that
GNUstep receives. In short, I would like to address this problem by
adding true support for theming to the library. Are there any objections
to this? Is such an effort already underweigh?

Also, is GNUstep compatible with any of the following window
managers/desktop environments: XFCE, KDE, GNOME?

I plan on doing some significant modifications to this library. My
distro plans on including a heavily modified and improved version of
GNUstep and GNUstep applications.

Hi Rob,

great to hear, that you want to contribute to a better appearance for GNUstep. I also think, this is one of the most important areas for improvements in this year. You seem to have some interesting ideas and I would like to ask you to share them with us.

Just a few months ago Adam did introduce a new class GSDrawingFunction and some of us are trying to move more of the drawing code over there. This would allow to replace some of it easyly with a theme bundle, that overwrites this methods. But more than just basic border drawing could be extracted. Here things start to get interesting, but also complicated and it is surely better to discuss them before starting any bigger changes.

As you know, there are some Nextstep traditionalist in the GNUstep group who insist on having the old Nextstep look as the default for GNUstep. This is something, we should stick to, but not let it get in the way, when opening up new perspectives, that could be enabled by users. With a bit of care this should not pose any problem.

What is more complicated is that GNUstep allows programmers to subclass any widgets and replace only part of the drawing. This is an important feature, that could easyly get lost, when doing a to simple minded widget drawing attempt. Please take extra care to preserve this, otherwise the new drawing code would never be excepted by application programmers.

Good luck
Fred