Re: Application roles - first steps

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Application roles - first steps
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:26:04 +0100

On 2004-02-22 17:02:55 +0100 Enrico Sersale <enrico@imago.ro> wrote:
<snip>

Well, I'm thinking at this and the first problem encountered is that I need this feature in many places and, splitting GWorkspace in some apps, as I'm doing, in many applications.

So, the concept is that I need an external object that, given a path and a key representing the desidered information, returns the right representation.

To test this, I've written a little daemon with a method named "-nameForPath:". For the moment, -nameForPath: does nothing; it waste intentionally some time to simulate
its work and then returns the lastPathComponent of the path.

Just courious: why do you use a daemon for that, instead of a framework class?

Is it possible to change -NSFileManager displayNameAtPath: to use kind of
delegates or name-providers?

It seems that this doesn't slows down the browser very much; I've tested with two "big" directories, /dev and /usr/lib, and I get a factor of 2.1 for /dev and 1.4 for /usr/lib. But, in the normal use, I don't notice any sensible change.

What about -namesForPaths: (inspired by -valuesForKeys:(NSArray *) from
key-value coding)? With this, you can eliminate lots of inter-process
communication.

My only concern, for such a solution, was the speed. After the test, it becomes a very interesting thing, also opening the way to some possible extensions to this concept. Moreover -nameForPath:, this daemon could have acces to any kind of metadata associated with the path. Think at the "Comments:" field in the Info window of the Mac Finder, for example.

- metaDataForPath:? :-) or ... metaDataForPaths:? Hmmm ... if there was such
method and metadata providers, we can have also 'tags' (or how they are called
- those stickers you put on files in Nautilus).

So, now I need some suggestion for the name of the daemon and for the keys to use to get the representations. (Even if I can write a version returning just the lastPathComponent, for the moment).

What about keys: WSDisplayName, WSRole, WSTags, WSComments...? I see no reason
for daemon for this functionality, Workplace framework is a good place. And you
can add appropriate methods to gwremote if you want this for a remote machine.

Stefan
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.
- Mahatma Gandhi