Re: Weird file permission problem

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Weird file permission problem
Date: 28 Feb 2004 20:52:13 -0700

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 12:39, Andreas Hoeschler wrote:

> I am wondering how this can lead to any problem. I mean the tool in
> which this statement is executed is run as root and it can execute the
> same command during initialization. The error only occurs when the
> method is called in response to a message received from the mail filter
> tool. How can this make a difference? This is so weird. Any ideas?

Well, you said at the beginning of the mail that it ran as nobody, which
wouldn't have permission to write to those directories, particularly /,

Although GNUstep should probably handle the case where the user has no
home directory and pick something more appropriate (maybe /tmp?). Would
that be a security hazard?

You might be able to work around this by using the GSSetUserName
function at the start of the tool.