Re: [GSWHackers] Future of GnusStep WebObject

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: [GSWHackers] Future of GnusStep WebObject
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:15:27 +0100

On Mar 2, 2004, at 3:43 PM, NeXT wrote:
I've not perform extensive testing but as far as I know, current state of SOPE does work well. even with Korean(with UTF8 encoding, I'm not tested with EUC-KR encoding, and UTF-8 is the right way I think).

Really? Great to here :-)

KVC is not supported in SOPE as you said(actually GNUstep base does have this feature, and GSWeb does make use of this), so porting(or just mere copying) of existing application code needs some works(creating accessors and setters).

OK, "ivar KVC" is not supported, only method KVC. So we should add that, seems to be important.

Currently WOKeyPathAssociation has an optimized and caching version of KVC which is much faster than the generic KVC API (eg avoids the creation of intermediate number objects when you bind an "int" to an "int").

It should be trivial to use the KVC implementation provided by gstep-base by doing such a category (probably mirrors what gstep-web is doing):
---snip---
@implementation WOKeyPathAssociation(UseFoundationKVC)
- (void)setValue:(id)_value inComponent:(WOComponent *)_component {
  [_component takeValue:_value forKeyPath:self->keyPath];
}
- (id)valueInComponent:(WOComponent *)_component {
  return [_component valueForKeyPath:self->keyPath];
}

- (int)intValueInComponent:(WOComponent *)_component {
  return [[self valueInComponent:_component] intValue];
}
... etc
@end
---snap---

Hm. I might add this as an compatibility option to SOPE, no big deal, stay tuned ;-)

It will be a significantly slower, but is going to provide all the KVC features available in gstep-base.

regards,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/