Re: [GSWHackers] Re: OGo/GNUstep cooperation Re: Re[2]: Frameworks

From: Marco Scheurer
Subject: Re: [GSWHackers] Re: OGo/GNUstep cooperation Re: Re[2]: Frameworks
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:13:21 +0100

On Mar 8, 2004, at 3:08 PM, NeXT wrote:

I cannot help but to ask this question :-) Helge, do you or your comapny have any problem in licensing or donating SOPE to FSF ? If so, we have to find another way(though I prefer first method be possible...). I think SOPE to FSF will solve most problems during this discussion. (I'm afraid that this is rather impossible, so the discussion comes here...)

Why is assigning copyright to the FSF such a big deal? FYI, the copyright for the Linux kernel source code is not assigned to the FSF, and it does not seem to be a problem to hundreds of Linux contributors or, as users, to many GNUSTEP developers.

I could understand that if someone contributes to SOPE, he could ask to keep the copyright on his contribution (or maybe assign it to the FSF) if he doesn't want to give a blank check to Skyrix or Helge, but otherwise I don't understand the fuss. I haven't seen that Helge asked that contributions should be copyrighted by Skyrix (on the contrary, his position is that you cannot transfer copyright).

As the original author of the kit, Skyrix is certainly entitled to keep it's copyright, which means they could decide to distribute the same code to someone else with a different license, but it does not diminish your rights under the GPL. And of course, if you make an important contribution to SOPE, and you keep your copyright on it (or give it to the FSF if you wish) then you would have leverage on how the whole kit is distributed if it is to include your contribution.

The only advantage of assigning the copyright to the FSF, is that the FSF is supposed to be better prepared to enforce this right than the original author or a random distributor. Let me just point out that apparently Fyodor has been able to get SCO to stop distributing nmap, while the FSF has not left a finger yet.

(IANAL, just my 2 cents)

marco

Marco Scheurer
Sen:te, Lausanne, Switzerland   http://www.sente.ch