Re: JIGS SuSE 8.2 gcj

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: JIGS SuSE 8.2 gcj
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 03:53:58 +0000 (GMT)

> Hello there,
>
> jigs compiled fine with the Java 2 SDK from Sun. Now I have a new
> problem:
>
> /usr/local/src/jigs-1.5.5/Examples/Java/SimpleGUI # CLASSPATH=./:$CLASSPATH
> java SimpleApp
> Error
> (objc-load):/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles/libgnustep-back.bundle/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/libgnustep-back:
>  undefined symbol: __objc_class_name_NSUserDefaults
> 2004-03-18 20:36:09.218 java[3205] Unknown time zone name `CET'.
> 2004-03-18 20:36:09.218 java[3205] Using time zone with absolute offset 0.
> 2004-03-18 20:36:09.218 java[3205] NSApplication.m:215  Assertion failed in
> initialize_gnustep_backend.  Can't load object file from backend at path
> /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles/libgnustep-back.bundle
> Exception in thread "main"
> gnu.gnustep.base.NSException(NSInternalInconsistencyException):NSApplication.m:215
>   Assertion failed in initialize_gnustep_backend.  Can't load object file
> from backend at path
> /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles/libgnustep-back.bundle
>         at SimpleGUI.initWithTitle(Native Method)
>         at SimpleGUI.<init>(SimpleGUI.java:57)
>         at SimpleApp.main(SimpleApp.java:46)

Interesting.  It's quite a while I don't try using JIGS with gnustep-gui.
I wonder if I ever tried it after we changed the backend to be a bundle.
Anyway to fix this you probably want to have the backend bundle linked
against all libraries. You might want to try compiling the backend with
the option LINK_BUNDLE_AGAINST_ALL_LIBS=yes.

Else, try a non-graphical example first.  What I usually do is I install
jigs, then the Wrappers/base, then I go in Testing, and run the Java tests
there.

> Sorry about those basic questions. BTW what will I have to do write
> APPLETS with JIGS that people can run in their browser?

Ahm - if you want to distribute the applet on the web, this is very
unlikely to work. :-(

If you use JIGS to access gnustep/ObjC libraries from Java, you first need
those libraries installed on your system.  People probably won't have them
installed, so they won't be able to access them.

Even if they had all of GNUstep installed on the system, the browser would
probably refuse to allow the applet to use JNI to access native libraries.
If you access a native library using JNI, that allows you to get around
any security in the JVM - if you can execute pure C code, the JVM can't
control you.  So I strongly doubt the browser will let you use JNI in an
applet.

Moreover, even in that case, you'd need the JIGS classes, and the JIGS
ObjC libraries and wrappers installed.

But if you have gnustep + jigs installed on your machine, and if you can
convince the browser to let an applet use JNI, then you should be able to
run applets which use JIGS / gnustep, no reason why not, even if I never
tried it.

It might not be what you want though.