Re: Localization in an application

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Localization in an application
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:37:16 -0700

On Tuesday, March 23, 2004, at 05:48 PM, Chris B. Vetter wrote:

Hi,

maybe the answer is obvious, but if so, I can't figure it out.

I know you can set an NSLanguages() array in NSGlobalDomain for
localization of "everything", and you can set another on a per
application basis.
Eg. have English as default and run GNUMail in French.

Now, what I like to do is have a Preference entry, that displays a
dropdown of all supported languages (in that particular application).
That's easy enough, by using NSBundle-localizations. I can select one,
and write it to the applications NSLanguages settings.

However, the change only takes effect upon a new start of the
application. What I'm looking for is a way to have it take effect
immediately.

What about setting the languages via [NSUserDefaults setUserLanguages:]?

As far as I know that should take effect immediately, as NSBundle reads the langauge list from NSUserDefaults every time it does something.