Re: Debian Packages: Am I really using gnumake?

From: Dirk Olmes
Subject: Re: Debian Packages: Am I really using gnumake?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:58:54 +0200 (MEST)

> Deploying an application which is using gnustep-base1, I note that I
> have to install that package on the target machine. Which is fine. But
> it insists on installing gnustep-make. Why? As near as I can tell, my
> application isn't using anything provided by that package. I didn't even
> build it with gnumake (would love to eventually, but it's not an option
> yet). It seems that gnumake should be something that gnustep-base1
> suggests, but not requires.

I don't know about the debian packages but I' pretty sure that the
requirement on gnustep-make exists because the script that does the setup
of LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PATH and all of the GNUstep specific environment vars
resides in <GNUSTEP_ROOT>/System/Developer/Makefiles.

You *could* do without the script but things are way easier if you use it.

-dirk

--
Anyway kids, have fun, play nicely, be good. And remember - if it ain't
broke, hit it again.