Re: GNUstep & The Window Manager Problem

From: copal
Subject: Re: GNUstep & The Window Manager Problem
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 01:04:22 -0500

On 2004-05-24 16:55:21 -0500, Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> said:

Folks,

Correct anything I say in here which is parently untrue, please. InterfaceWM development has been nonexistant for the last five months, and I honestly don't think that Ian Mondragon is planning on continuing to work on this project. He might intend to, but obviously Real Life(tm) is getting in the way.

Real Life(tm) is a bitch. i've definitely been incognito for the better part of the last 6 months, and to show how ironic it is that this thread was started this week - i JUST got a USB KVM switch to hook up my development box. yes, i am planning to continue work on this project - i have simply been taking a leave of absence.\

Meanwhile, WindowMaker has had almost zero foreward movement for the last several months as well. Up until extremely recently, their public CVS wouldn't even compile, and it had been like that for MANY MANY months as well. It seems that checkouts are now compiling as they should, and the Wmaker folks are now using xft2 for anti-aliasing, but there's really not much progress being made.

kind of ironic...the last changes i made to IWM were anti-aliasing in the titlebars...

So my question is this...can anyone who is using GNUstep with *other* window managers sort of check in here and let us all know how they seem to work with GNUstep? Is anyone here interested in a hostile takeover of the InterfaceWM project? I know that Chris Vetter was working on it a little bit once upon a time, but don't think there's been any work by him on it recently either.

takeover? hostile? to be quite honest, it's been like pulling teeth just getting people to give me feedback for the past several years...much less actually *contribute* to the project. chris vetter has been a godsend to the project, in that he's been the only person to (a) actively test IWM, (b) submit patches & commit code and (c) bounce ideas off of that seemed to have some actual interrest in seeing the project through to at least a version 1.0.0.

there would be no takeover neccessary, nor would there need to be any hostility - i have actively encouraged people to help out with IWM for the better part of AT LEAST 3 YEARS, but it seems that the only time the project gets attention is when i STOP working on it for any length of time. i've been an active GNUstep supporter/developer for what seems like an eternity, and i would rather see the community pull together to HELP OUT with a project started FOR the GNUstep community, rather than suggest yet another forked open-source project.

if anyone is interrested in helping out with InterfaceWM, please contact me - your assistance would be greatly welcomed.

- ian