Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:56:26 +0100

Le 7 juin 04, à 17:26, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf a écrit :
Let me chime in here. I must also confess that i like the modular approach
more than the monolithic approach. Things are easier to exchange if you
don't like several parts and also easier to replace, since you won't need to write a whole WorkspaceManager, if you don't like - for instance - the
desktop part.

The modular approach is also very UNIX like where traditionally many small
pieces make up the whole system (remember that "If UNIX was a plane" -
joke? There is some truth in it - for good) In contrast there is Windows
where you even can't replace the webbrowser or the mediaplayer easily.
please keep that in mind :-)

While in general it really make sense to have modular approach, I confess that I'm confused with GWorkspace as it it. Having modular things, ok. But it should have been bundles then, not separate applications. I really don't see why Inspector.app or Operations.app are applications...

But well, I now understand why Enrico did that (to have clean separate parts); it's just that I really hope that in the future the code will be gathered in ONE app (but with the code in bundles, that could be interesting, I agree).

just my 0.2€ ..

--
Nicolas Roard