Re: GSWrapper.app (Re: StepTalk script to set app wrappers in Dock.app)

From: Frederico Muñoz
Subject: Re: GSWrapper.app (Re: StepTalk script to set app wrappers in Dock.app)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:36:48 +0100

Raffael Herzog writes:
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:38:45 +0100, Frederico Muñoz <fsmunoz@gesal.org> wrote:
One of the things that have been bugging me in the GWorkspace Dock.app (that I've been suing extensively) is the fact that applications launched trough App Wrappers don't behave properly due to the missing notifications.

I'm currently working on GSWrapper.app. It provides: - A GUI for creating app wrappers, including setting icons via drag and drop and defining file types. - Scripts for start, start and open, open and eventually more, e.g. activate - Services to create and edit wrappers from within GWorkspace What exactly does it do? It's GNUstep application that starts a non-GNUstep application using NSTask and monitors it. Its delegate listens to applicationDidFinishLaunching:, application:openFile(s): and runs the shell scripts accordingly.

(snip) The script I made can be considered a GNUstep application in the sense that it properly initializes itself, registers for DO, etc. I made it using StepTalk because it's easier and seemed more in line with the way App Wrappers are implemented, i.e. they mimic the structure of a proper AppDir and have a ascrip as NSExecutable. The same could be made using Objective-C, of course. The script only does enough to provide the proper notifications that GWorkspace expects to detect that the app was is running or was closed. Adding anything mroe in the script would be overkill... I changed it locally so it can understand the -GSFilePath syntax so it already works perfectly with icons clicked or DnD to the application icon in the Dock. This is enough for my purposes since it allows appwrappers to behave exactly the same as GNUstep apps in what regards the Dock. I welcome more ambitious projects such as the one you mention tough. This was just a quick fix to a problem that was for me rather annoying in my daily use of GWorkspace and Dock. What you are describing goes well behiond that, and I eagerly expect its release.

Best Regards, Frederico Muñoz