Re: SONAMEs

From: Eric Heintzmann
Subject: Re: SONAMEs
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 08:41:27 +0100

On 2004-06-20 09:00:36 +0200 Chad Hardin <cehardin@mac.com> wrote:

How about we make it standard coding practice to put a NSMutableDictionary ivar into every single class for every major release. Then, if more ivars are needed during minor release upgrades, they can be held in the Dictionary ivar. When the next major release rolls around, what was held in the Dictionary can be made into a real independent ivar, and the cycle continues.

This extra ivar can be uniformly called extra_ivars or something like that. For most classes, it would never be used, but for those few times that a new ivar is needed, it would not hurt anyone.

I don't have a problem with binary incompatibilities, I trust in the GNUstep Team. But I have a problem if there are binary incompabilities and the soname isn't changing like now.

Since soname could be easily upgraded, and would really make transition to the new lib easier for users of debian (and I think,user of all other distros), I think it should be changed now (and for every new binary incompatibility).

No, this is not my own original idea, but I do think it is a decent one. Of course, implementing it would mean *totally* breaking binary compatibility, but at least it would only happen once.

Comments?  Am I overlooking something?

Chad