Re: ANN: Price 0.4.0

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: ANN: Price 0.4.0
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:21:21 +0200

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> > It is a bug in GNUstep. Alexander Malmberg had a look at the time when I
> > discovered it and at least fixed the memory consumption... but no one really
> > fixed this.

I've fixed it locally, but it's in a rather messy state, and it's
tangled with some other NSImage fixes. As always, time is the problem.

[snip]
> As far as I could analyse the problem comes from GNUstep changing the
> image size, when scaling the NSImageView (or rather the NSImageCell),
> whereas Cocoa seems to maintain the same image size. (Could you please
> verify this assumption on MacOSX?)

AFAICT, this is the case. (Can't test on mosx, but it makes sense, and
the code wouldn't work otherwise.)

[snip]
> As we currently dont support the method [NSImage
> -drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction:) in the backends the only
> workaround I see it so reset the image siez at the end of the
> (NSImageCell -drawInteriorWithFrame:inView:) method, which would be a
> horrible hack. Perhaps somebody steps up to implement the image drawing
> method to prevent this from happening?

For NSImageCell, this isn't necessary. It just does a sover composite,
so replacing the -compositeToPoint:operation: with a call to
-drawRepresentation:inRect: (along with some NSImage changes) was enough
to fix it.

In the general case, we'll need the full method. We actually do we the
backend support we need for this, though.

- Alexander Malmberg