evas backend [was Re: cairo backend]

From: Armando Di Cianno
Subject: evas backend [was Re: cairo backend]
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:30:57 -0400

On 2004-07-02 10:13:06 -0400 Dan Mardale <dan.mardale@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd like to know what choices for a cairo back-end are out there and
how can I get involved. I'd really love to see it ready asap.

I'm curious if anyone else out there has mulled over the idea of using evas (from englightment's e17 core libraries) as a backend. Even though, just now, it's getting to almost 1.0, it's pretty ... awesome. I suggest looking into it.

It'd be nice for hardware acceleration to "just work", and even the software optimization is pretty great (well, "awesome" on x86, and "good" on other platforms). Also, it's shed it's required dependance on X, and can run on DirectFB. Right now the only required library is freetype2. Plans to run on handheld devices, Windows, SDL, etc. It would be like a meta-backend, and GNUstep wouldn't have to worry about having backends for different platforms when evas reached the point of running on all major operating systems. Considering rasterman's history with functionally good code that makes pretty pictures efficiently, I think this would be great.

Not that cairo doesn't / isn't going to rock, but evas works, is mostly awesome, and is almost at 1.0 release (which says a lot since e17 has been in seeming perpetual development).

I looked into trying this myself. I (used to) do a fair share of low level audio programming, but for some reason I can't get my brain around graphical bits like I could with audio bits.

Any comments about this idea may inspire me to try, however. :-)

__Armando Di Cianno